Des Plaines resident named Oakton male student-athlete of the month

Oakton Community College sophomore men’s basketball forward Jack Framke (Des Plaines, Maine West High School) has been selected the college’s male student-athlete of the month for January. The student-athlete of the month is presented nine months during the year to one male and one female student-athlete displaying excellence in the areas of academics, athletics and campus involvement or service.

“Being recognized for my hard work on and off the court is quite the honor,” Framke says. “I just do the best I can.”

After graduating from Maine West in 2017, Framke attended the University of Illinois at Chicago for a year before coming to Oakton. He intends to transfer back to UIC in the fall to earn a four-year degree in environmental sciences.

Framke particularly shined in the classroom, earning a 4.0 GPA and President’s Scholar recognition for the fall semester while pursuing an associate of science degree. President’s Scholars must be enrolled in at least six credit hours at course levels at 100 or above during a given term, earn a perfect 4.0 grade-point-average that term, be in good academic standing and meet standards of academic progress at the end of the term for which honors are being considered.

Coming to Oakton was a wise decision, according to Framke.

“Taking classes at Oakton helped save me lots of money,” he says. “If I stayed at UIC for one more year, I would have had to have taken out student loans and gotten myself in debt. Coming to Oakton worked out great for me, as I’m able to finish my general education requirements. Also at Oakton, I was able to be active with the basketball team. I enjoy competing and being part of a team. I’m close with a lot of the Oakton players.”

Framke said he considers himself a competitor, having also played varsity hoops for the Warriors his junior and senior seasons.

“I didn’t play basketball when I was at UIC,” he says. “I missed being active and had an itch to get back to playing the game I love. I’m glad I have that opportunity again while at Oakton.

Framke is averaging 5.7 points, 3.1 rebounds and 1.3 assists per game. He has scored in double figures in each of his last three games against Prairie State College, Elgin Community College and College of Lake County.

Owls head coach Mick Reuter is proud of Framke for winning the award: “Jack is extremely dependable. He excels both on and off the court for us. Also, Jack continues to develop his game and adjust to his role with the team.”