Oakton College offers daily COVID-19 testing

Chloe Richmond

Image of COVID-19 testing center at the Des Plaines campus. A spacious room with plastic coverings over flooring areas.

Chloe Richmond

As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to threaten the lives and health of millions worldwide, Oakton Community College works to provide ways of reducing its spread on campus.

Along with a series of vaccine clinics, posters pasted to walls for educating students on the necessity of being vaccinated and maintaining good health practices, and a significant increase in online services, Oakton offers free testing services daily on both campuses.

“Testing is critically important to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 . . . People with COVID-19 have reported a wide range of issues from mild symptoms to severe illness. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus,”  states the CDC.

Partnered with Shield Illinois, Oakton’s testing services provide results within 24-48 hours, allowing students to know whether or not they have the virus prior to showing any symptoms. Due to this, utilizing the service, regardless of vaccination status, is encouraged. 

Testing is offered at the Des Plaines campus in Room 1604 at the following times: 

Monday and Thursday

8:30 a.m. – 1:25 p.m.

Tuesday and Wednesday

12:30-5:25 p.m.

Friday

9 a.m. – 12:55 p.m.

Additionally, testing is offered at the Skokie campus in Room A 145-152 at the following times:

Monday and Thursday

12:30 – 5:25 p.m.

Tuesday and Wednesday

8:30- 1:25 p.m.

Friday

9 a.m. – 12:55 p.m.

Students can schedule a testing appointment, at either campus, online by visiting: https://shieldillinoisportal.pointnclick.com/login_login.aspx

Critique tied to a focus on promoting the testing center may stem from concerns of anti-vaccination rhetoric, which is unfounded by science. “While COVID-19 vaccines were developed quickly, all steps have been taken to ensure their safety and effectiveness.” states the CDC, dismantling the common claim of those opposed to taking the vaccine.

To best prevent the spread of COVID-19, all safety measures and on-campus services are advised to be utilized in addition to testing services. Oakton hosted free vaccination clinics on Wednesday, March 23rd, on both campuses. The clinic on the Des Plaines campus was held in Room 1616, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Whilst the clinic on the Skokie campus was held in Room P103, from 4 p.m. – 8 p.m. Registration was not a requirement, and walk-ins were welcomed.

The pandemic has brought about a tremendous amount of loss- most direly, the loss of life and of loved ones. Being focused on our actions and conduct regarding the health of ourselves, and in turn of others, is vital in this tremulous time. Oakton provides varying health services for navigating life during the pandemic, including those catered towards both physical and mental health. 

Admirably, with the mindset of advocating for health and justice, Oakton students and faculty are working towards instilling these preventative practices to fight against COVID-19.

Any further inquiries on Oakton’s policies related to COVID-19 may be directed to [email protected]