Des Plaines City Hall sees protest with anti-vaccine propaganda

Gabriela Krieger, Editor

As the efficacy of masks and vaccines are further proven by science, the discussion of vaccination mandates and having to show proof of vaccination when entering a business has become a point of controversy. 

Society, reportedly, has struggled to accept new ideas and inventions; the emergence of vaccines and boosters have proven to be no exception. While a certain amount of skepticism is healthy and necessary, it is also vital to educate oneself with credible sources and fact-checked media. 

On Jan. 19, 2022, anti-vaccine protesters assembled in front of the Des Plaines City Hall, yielding American flags and home-made signs that proclaimed “Fight For Freedom” and other anti-mandate slogans in bold, accusatory letters.

News of these state-specific mandates–federalism at its finest– has been regarded with simultaneous contention and support. The entire country seems fogged by contradicting opinions, uncertainty, and discord, an attitude that has manifested in cities such as Des Plaines. 

Some posters even compared the vaccine mandate to communism and tyranny, and claimed that these mandates violate the constitutional rights of American citizens. 

Protesters also expressed concern about losing customer revenue due to potential future lockdowns and inoculation mandates. 

A portion of society appears to have lost faith in their government. While this is problematic, it isn’t entirely unfounded. For instance, before the emergence of the omicron variant, President Biden promised everyone a covid test in the mail; now, that plan has fallen through. Even now the feeble supply chain struggles to grapple with the increasing demand and covid tests often run out before most people can get their hands on them. 

“I feel like people do have the right to protest, but I feel like it’s best to distance yourself and wear a mask to protect yourself and everyone around you,” said Oakton student Karla Bautista.

As maintaining a healthy community is not only Des Plaines’ main priority, but also Oakton’s, the database now allows professors to see who is in compliance in their classes, which will assist them in enforcing the rules that keep students and staff safe. 

Oakton continues to offer daily covid testing during the following times:

Des Plaines campus, Room 1604: 

Monday and Thursday, 8:30 a.m. – 1:25 p.m. 

Tuesday and Wednesday, 12:30 – 5:25 p.m. 

Friday, 9 a.m. – 12:55 p.m.

Skokie campus, Room A145-152: 

Monday and Thursday, 12:30 – 5:25 p.m. 

Tuesday and Wednesday, 8:30 – 1:25 p.m. 

Friday, 9 a.m. – 12:55 p.m.

Testing is not exclusive to unvaccinated students, and Oakton encourages anyone who might want a test to take one. To schedule an on-campus covid test, visit: https://shieldillinoisportal.pointnclick.com/login_login.aspx